Welcoming In The Winter...

Suddenly it's arrived. Frosty mornings, torrential downpours, gales and leaf strewn roads. We're well into autumn and soon to welcome in the challenging months of winter.

For some, the winter months are a time to cover up the bike or sit on the turbo; that's never been an option for me, with a bicycle being my primary means of transport. But, to be honest, I've never had a desire to do so anyway. Riding in the darker months is all about embracing the elements and getting out there...

After a few days off the bike last week, and a few gentle weeks of riding either side of it, I'm feeling a renewed cycling mojo - ready to get out on the cold and crisp (or wet and freezing) roads and start ramping up the training again.

2015 is set to be a big year, with the Island Games, and a triple focus on road racing, XC mountain biking and endurance challenges. It's a broad range of goals, with a whole array of targets to aim for.

I've recently decided that I'm going to race in the XC cross country event at the Jersey 2015 Island Games next year, as well as the road race and road criterium. The diversity will add more interest to my training and racing next year, and I'm really looking forward to that. The challenge is how I fit it all in...

I've come up with a plan, of sorts... my training time on the road will come in the form of commuting and longer rides at the weekend; then once a week I'll do a night ride on the mountain bike, to try and build back up my technical ability, I'll also occasionally do a long one on the mountain bike at the weekend.

It won't be long before it's Festive 500 time either. This year, to make it more of a challenge, I'm going to try and do as much of it as I can off-road (let's hope it's cold and the ground is frozen).

Winter is coming then, but I'm welcoming it. Get kitted up, grab your bike and get out there. There's nothing like a bit of character building...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SwissStop Disc Brake Pads Comparison Test Review – Are All Disc Brake Pads Made Equal?

Recipe – The Ultimate High Energy Flapjacks

Review – Selle Italia SLR Boost Gravel Superflow Saddle S3

Review – TRP Spyre SLC Cable Disc Brakes

Review – SunRace CS MX80 (MX8) 11-46T Cassette for SRAM